How Sick is too Sick for Child Care
One of the most commonly asked questions in child care is: When is a child too sick to attend?
Most mildly ill children can safely attend group programs if they have been properly treated and if they feel well enough to attend.
When should a child be excluded:
- The child does not feel well enough to participate
- Staff cannot care for the child without interfering with the care of other children
The child has any of the following:
- Fever with behavior changes or signs of other illness
- Signs and symptoms of serious illness
- Symptoms or conditions listed that require exclusion
Help avoid illness in the first place by:
- Following hand washing, cleaning & ventilation guidelines
- Completing regular health consultation visits
- Keeping Immunizations up to date
- Developing health policies
- Looking for signs of infectious disease: daily health check
- Sharing information with families: health log and symptom log
- Inform parents of contagious illnesses
Healthy Child Care Colorado offers a training for Child Care Health Consultants and Child Care Providers on How Sick is too Sick for Child Care, to learn more email firstname.lastname@example.org today!